Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bread

I made a decision after wanting to do this for a long time. I’m so sick of all the preservatives and chemicals in pre-made food. I’m going to TRY to gradually cut out as much as I can. Starting with bread. So after a ‘discussion’ with Jon – he doesn’t want to eat homemade bread because it’s not ‘soft’ enough – I decided to pursue the perfect soft sandwich wheat bread. Here is my first attempt. I made Honey Whole Wheat bread in my breadmaker (the recipe was from the breadmaker's handbook). Even though it is made with half white flour & half wheat flour, I figured it was a good place to start (preferably, I’ll find a recipe with 100% whole wheat or at least 0% white flour).

Here are all the ingredients in ready to go. wet ones first, then salt, then flours, and yeast on top.


Here were the settings on the bread maker: whole wheat, medium loaf, light crust:


And here is the result!


Doesn’t that look yummy? It really is. I’ve been having turkey sandwiches on it all week. I wish it was a little more flavorful though – maybe more of the honey flavor – or maybe a more classic nutty whole wheat. Overall, I’d make this again – it’s a great basic.

2 comments:

  1. You should experiment with other flours like oatmeal or white wheat to get the flavor. Also, I have tried a few good 100% whole wheat flour breads, and although they were good, they are quite heavy. I don't think its possible to get a light soft bread with 100% whole wheat. Even most of the whole wheat breads in the store are made with 50% regular flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really, really tasty and healthy!!!!! I want some!

    ReplyDelete